A Heartbreaking Follow Up

As I mentioned in my previous post, Jacob Hall, the six-year-old first grader gravely injured during recess last week has been weighing on my mind. Though I knew Jacob had twice died during the ordeal, that he had suffered a massive brain injury because of blood loss, I had been praying along with hundreds, perhaps thousands of others, hoping the Lord would restore this child to his family. Then I held my breath along with the world to see what God would do.

Today, Jacob passed from this life to the next. I nearly cried; I certainly wanted to. But I didn't have the right. The grief belongs to others. I'm just a horrified bystander.

I'm not confused, hurt, or angry that our prayers weren't answered the way we wanted, though I'm sure Jacob's family are all of that right now. I know God in His sovereignty made the decision for excellent reasons. I'm just praying a family that is hurting and confused beyond measure can find peace in our Savior, and praying their pastor and church family can minister to them in this time of soul-crushing grief.

We live in a fallen world. The innocent will always suffer at the hands of those who love to do wrong. That is, until the Lord says enough. What a terrible time that will be for the guilty.