Sherlock: The Lying Detective

This is not a full review of the latest Sherlock episode, "The Lying Detective." It happened so fast and was so tightly written, I have to watch it again to catch everything. Not that I mind. It was excellent, one of the best. The drama (action and relational) and emotion were high, the dialogue exceptional, and the acting superb.

I liked the balance of angst and disgust Cumberbatch used during the bridge scene, but the most poignant moment came at the end when John and Sherlock, both physically and mentally exhausted, finally talked (if you watched "The Six Thatchers" you'll know why they had stopped.) This is a bit of a spoiler from last week's episode, so if you haven't seen it, don't read on. I share it only because I love Sherlock's response. After John admits "(She) died saving your life. Her choice. No one made her do it. No one could ever make her do anything, but the point is, you did not kill her," Sherlock replies, "In saving my life she conferred a value on it. It is a currency I do not know how to spend."

It is just one example of why this series continues to deliver, when its creators are able to deliver, the best of everything that goes into visual storytelling.

Oh, and Mrs. Hudson was a hoot.