Moving Away from Facebook

So far this year (all four days of it) I've read posts from friends stating they were taking a break from Facebook. In two instances, a one month break. In another, the person planned to leave the platform permanently due to massive privacy violations.

I wasn't surprised. Distancing myself from Facebook is one of my goals for this year. Not because of privacy concerns. That violation has occurred for several years now, though we just learned about the breach of privacy concerning Messenger (shame on you, Mark Z.) In my case, while I love keeping in touch with my family and the wonderful connections I've made over the years, along with reading informative posts that teach me a variety of subjects and show me lands I've never visited, I need a break.

I'm fed up with the political rhetoric, tired of the bragging--humble or blatant--and of the barrage of photos of injured and shelter animals, all of whom look so sad my heart can't take it. I'm disheartened by the nasty and snide comments people make during their attacks on others. On that note, I'm offended by Facebook's habit of censoring conservatives.

I no longer care to read about the dangers of vaccines or the benefits of them, depending on who's posting, and the, "bet you won't share this," posts. (My answer is always, "You're right. I won't.")

I joined Facebook nearly twelve years ago at the invitation of a friend. I immediately saw the advantage of keeping in touch with family spread out around the country and with alumni serving in mission fields around the world. While the platform also opened my world, allowing me to learn great information and share information I was learning, over the years, something went wrong. People began to open up from behind the walls of their homes in ways they never would have in public or face-to-face. The nastiness in some cases was shocking. While I've met some great people, I've also grown disappointed in others I once respected and admired.

We don't need a constant barrage of opinions, news, and boasts on an hourly basis. Some walls are needed. Distance is needed as well. I think many of us are beginning to understand that. I don't plan to leave Facebook altogether, but for the sake of friendships and overall quality of life, I do plan to significantly curtail my use. That way, when I do sign on, the reunion will be joyful.