A Quick Update and Disney's Flight of Passage.

2019 is already down two months? How?? Several of us have been discussing the rapid (and frighteningly fast) passage of time. Don't take a moment for granted. It's gone in a heartbeat.

The busyness of our lives contributes to the perception of disappearing time. At this empty-nesting stage of my life, I'm not nearly as busy as younger parents are, but I stay busy enough. So how am I doing on my 2019 goals?
  • I was consistent with my flute practice until a week or so ago, but I had a reason for the lapse. More on that in a minute.
  • I study French on a daily basis. So much so, my husband is beginning to pick up a bit just from listening in. I've completed ten chapters in my Basic French book along with two reviews, and I'm working through the fifth level of the second set of subjects in Duolingo. One must complete a total of 60 lessons within each subject, so when I complete this second set, I'll have completed a total of 600 lessons on the app. This doesn't include all the reviews I had to take to "earn health" (if you make six mistakes, you either have to wait a few hours until one unit refills, refill your health with earned credits, or take a review to earn one unit.) J'étudie beaucoup (I study a lot.)
So what happened with the flute? We've been babysitting our daughter's very large dogs while she and her family relocated across country and got settled. The time finally came take them home. We picked a time near our grandson's tenth birthday and drove them to Florida.

My daughter decided to celebrate my grandson's birthday at Disney's Animal Kingdom. I'm not fond of large crowds and am prone to motion sickness. Consequently, I am not an amusement park person--I spent far too much time at Six Flags over Texas during my girls' childhood and teen years. but I love my grandson. So hi ho, hi ho, it was off to Disney I...went.

My daughter saved the best ride for last. If you're familiar with Animal Kingdom, you know this means the Avatar- (the movie) -based "Flight of Passage" ride. The line was horrid (a 2 1/2 hour wait. Every muscle in my legs and back hurt by the time we reached the ride) but the detailed graphics of a simulator that makes you feel as if you're really swooping through a valley on Pandora are incredible. I can't wait to see how Disney applies this technology to other attractions. I would love to feel as if I'm on the Moon. It's a must-see, but go with someone who can get a Fast Pass, otherwise, dehydrate yourself and plan to stand in close quarters with hundreds of others for a few hours.

Oh, and take Dramamine if rides make you sick. As I said, the simulator really makes you feel as if you're swooping through a valley.

This brings me to my goal of decluttering. With the dogs and their kennels, toys, and beds back with their people, I once again had access to our front room (formerly the dining room.) That room has been cleaned. I gave my daughter two of the four sets of crystal goblets my father-in-law gave us a few years back. My in laws purchased them while living in Europe, but never used them before my mother-in-law died. We use them, but the two of us didn't need forty-eight goblets. That cleared some cabinet space and a box in the attic. I still have to tackle the rest of the attic, and I'm not looking forward to that.

I read a few nonfiction historical books as well, but I'll discuss that later.

That's it for February. March brings us longer days and spring. Take time to enjoy the beauty that's about to surround us.