England Part II: The Anglo-Saxon Part of the Journey

Two years ago, I downloaded a book on the Battle of Hastings. It was so rich and engaging, it set me on a long journey through English history, first jumping back to King Alfred, the "White Horse King" and then forward through the Plantagenet era, up to the Wars of the Roses.

Two historic figures stood out in those pages for their bravery and character: King Alfred the Great and the great knight, William Marshal, the epitome of loyalty and chivalry. I had hoped to visit a location associated with either of those men, but as this trip was more about family and less about sightseeing historic England, I put that aside for another time.

But my family had other ideas. Stonehenge is located in Amesbury, in what had been Alfred's kingdom of Wessex, so it was pointed out to me that he likely saw the monument in its better days. From that point on, I began viewing Stonehenge from the perspective. A day after that trip, the English branch of our family tree took us to Earls Barton to visit a medieval church, the tower of which dated back to the 900s--in other words, the Anglo-Saxon era. Likely when Alfred's fourth great grandson, Edgar the Peaceable, was on the throne.

As one who loves history, I was overwhelmed--in a good way--to see, step into, and touch a structure so old (though at one point, I was so focused on everything around me, I stepped off the handicap ramp at the entrance and fell into the handrail. We had a good laugh about that.) With the constant medieval wars and Viking raids that occurred over the generations, can you imagine what that church has, "seen?" Despite those battles, time and weather, the church still stands.

Watch your step!

Inside the church. This was built, I believe, during Norman times.

Medieval doors and windows would make a fascinating study

Like Irchester, the village of Earls Barton is quaint and clean, with an abundance of flowers bringing color to the tanish-colored stones. After we left the church, we went across the street to a butcher shop where we purchased fresh meat for meals and other goodies to snack on during the drive to my daughter's final doctor appointments. However, as I would soon learn, the history portion of our trip wasn't over.