A Day at Disney

(Originally published on Wordpress in 2019)

My daughter is a roller coaster junkie. While living in North Texas, we visited Six Flags at least twice a year. Me? I'm not a fan. Amusement Parks aren't the best choice for someone who is afraid of heights, suffers from motion sickness, and who overheats as easily as I do. After becoming empty nesters, we visited an amusement park a total of zero times—until this year.

Our daughter is married now and has two kids. Shortly after she and her clan relocated to Florida from the West Coast, she bought a Disney pass and passed her love of dizzy, fast, stomach-lurching scary rides to her sons. Now, she and her crew visit a Disney park or two as often as they can. Because we're within driving distance, she decided we should, on occasion, accompany them.

Why don't we just refuse to go? Because we love our grandkids.

First, we went to Disney's Animal Kingdom for my oldest grandson's birthday. We'd never been, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleased that the landscaping was lush and shady, for though it was February, the temperature in Orlando was warmer than we expected. I wasn't pleased that my daughter had a bad habit of waiting until we boarded a ride before saying things like, "This one spins," and "This coaster goes backwards in the dark," while laughing malevolently. She's lucky I have a sense of humor. And Dramamine.

We did have fun, though, and we absolutely loved Flight of Passage, which I did not photograph as I was too busy enjoying the experience while telling myself I couldn't plunge to my death from the perceived great heights that my daughter failed to warn me about.


Mt Everest ride. The cars go backwards. In the dark.

At Animal Kingdom


As with our first trip to Disney this year, a grandson's birthday was the reason for a second trip to the happiest place on earth (if you spring for Preferred Parking.) This time, we got a park hopper. Over the course of nine hours, we walked twelve miles in three parks. It was hot, our legs hurt, and I had to consume numerous Dole Whips to survive the 100+ at times heat index (Epcot needs more shade.) But we had fun. My favorite ride was Soarin' Around the World, my husband finally got to ride Space Mountain, we spent an insane amount of money for a buffet with Disney characters roaming around, a treat that put a huge smile on my grandson's face, and—AND!—we visited Galaxy's Edge.

I've been a fan of Star Wars since I saw the later-titled New Hope at the theater in 1977. I cannot tell you how content it felt to stand in that alien environment and gaze at a replica of the Millennium Falcon.

It. was. awesome.



I have no idea who the man on the far left is, but I love his shirt.

At the end of the day, we limped back to our fabulous spot in preferred parking and went home. I'm not sure I'll be up for another Disney trip any time soon, but if my grandkids really want to go while we're in town, you bet we'll be there. That's how much I love my grandkids.

Thunder Mountain. Built in the style of Cinderella’s Castle (see last photo)
Mission to Mars, which I did not ride.
 Hollywood Studios at Sunset
Cinderella’s Castle. I tweaked the colors to make it look more Disney.