Little Escapes

The world has gone crazy.

I've written that a lot in my journal lately. Every time I think chaos has peaked for the year, a new crisis reveals itself. Nonstop coverage on the news and on social media by those who spend a great deal of time inflaming the situation or who insist on sharing their sudden expert opinion just adds to the turmoil. It seems as if people like to argue so much, they even argue about things they agree on.

Some people feed on it. I don't. As the five deaths this year alone at the church I work at have reminded me, life is too short for this nonsense, so I've been taking little breaks. On the weekends, we visit various Carolina destinations such as Charleston or Kure Beach. During the week, I listen to podcasts.

I'm new to podcasts. Don't ask me why. Even though the app has been on my phone for ages, I never considered podcasts to be an option. What changed? I started following Star Trek:Voyager’s Garrett Wang on Twitter just as he began promoting a new podcast called The Delta Flyers, which he hosts along with his Voyager co-star, Robert Duncan McNeill.

I'm a huge fan of Voyager, so I was thrilled to catch this before it launched. I love it and look forward to future podcasts, including those that cover my favorite episodes (Shattered, Pathfinder, Timeless, Before and After, and Blink of an Eye, to name a few.)

I listen to other podcasts now as well, including one about life in the Smoky Mountains, another on French verbs (yes, I'm still sticking with my French studies.) So far, The Delta Flyers is my favorite. The audio is good, and unlike another podcast I tried to listen to, they stay on-point while still providing interesting tidbits about the cast and filming. It’s a nice little escape from weightier matters that can’t be resolved through all the blame and yelling, and yet they manage to address issues in a respectful way while recapping the shows. They also offer additional content for patrons, so if you’re a Voyager fan, check it out.