On the Subject of Quilts...

In my last post, I mentioned one of the many endeavors I've thrown myself into this year to keep busy is learning how to quilt. I didn't take Home Economics when I was in school (a decision I regret to this day) and had just a few sewing lessons as an adult. Consequently, I tend to steer away from the craft unless I want to make something. Since quilting involves a lot of sewing, I've avoided it.

Now, I want to learn. I have no plans at the moment to make large quilts. I'll start off small, perhaps something a doll could use. If I enjoy it, then I'll work my way up to making quilts for my grandsons.

Once upon a time, I would have jumped into the craft and taught myself as I went along, but quilting intimates me a bit (and my seat-of-the-pants learning never served me well.) I'm taking my time, watching videos and reading up on the tools I'll need, some of which I never knew existed until now, and which I could have used in the few sewing projects I've done. Here's what I've learned so far.


The blanket itself consist of the following:

Top layer of fabric
Batting (the cushy stuff in the middle)
Bottom later of fabric
Strips of fabric for the edge binding

The top layer can actually be made of a single piece of fabric, but they come in a range of designs from simple blocks to geometrical or print designs. A quilting friend of mine made a quilt for her granddaughter in which she'd incorporated several cat silhouettes. I loved it.

As for me, I'll just use simple blocks. To that end, I purchased a pack of precut "fat quarters", which are often used by quilters.

Other tools I know I'll need:

Rotary cutter
Needles for hand sewing
Needle Threader
Thread conditioner, which I didn't know existed
Quilting ruler, a nifty tool I needed years ago
Thread
Quilting Stencil (the design quilted onto the blanket)
Pounce Pad or Chalk Pencil for stenciling the design onto the blanket

The type of many of these tools seems to greatly matter, from the fabric used (quilt cotton) and the type of thread, to the #9 piercing needle for hand sewing.

I'm researching each element and have more research to go. Slowly, because I want to enjoy this entire process. I'll keep you posted.


Photo credits: Unknown. Marked Creative Commons License