Book Review: The Last Moriarty

Sherlock Holmes has been trending in my life since I discovered the Cumberbatch series that features a modern-day version of the consulting detective. When I recently signed up for Kindle Unlimited in the hopes of reading books from my favorite authors (who, it turns out, do not participate in the program) I happened on The Last Moriarty by Charles Veley.

The story opens on a gray November day in 1895. Mary Watson is three years gone, and Dr. Watson is back at Baker Street. All is quiet until Sherlock's brother, Mycroft, arrives at the flat around dawn. The visit involves a matter of national urgency that includes several prominent Americans and an encounter Sherlock expected never again to have.

It has been years since I last read a Sherlock Holmes mystery, and I nearly passed on this one. After all, who could possibly match the tone and style of the original? Veley comes close in The Last Moriarty. It was a page turner I was loathed to put down when forced to do so, and sleepless nights often found me huddled beneath the covers reading with my iPhone Kindle app set to night mode. Even the historical notes at the end were interesting. The Last Moriarty is a five-star treat for Sherlock fans.