Book Review: For the Love of Liberty

The year is 2026 and Liberty Ridley is searching for an idea for her next novel. Her agent directs her to a professor doing research with DNA memory. Liberty is skeptical, but when she learns the contributions an ancestor made during the Revolution are at risk of being dismissed as lore, she takes the plunge and in doing so, finds herself in Philadelphia in the year 1777. Is she experiencing her ancestor's memories or has her writer's imagination gone wild?

I read very few Romances, but this was a fun book. I wasn't sure how Blanton would handle the time travel element and was pleased she used an actual theory I'd read about a year or two ago. As indicated in her novel, some believe DNA may contain memories of the person from whom the DNA is derived.

The only DNA Liberty has access to is that of a great-something grandmother who shed blood during the Battle of Yorktown. She agrees to the experiment and awakens in Colonial Philadelphia where she meets a Loyalist struggling to figure out exactly where his loyalties lay. I was intrigued by the spy element of the story (so much so I downloaded an Audible book on the subject) and liked how Blanton resolved everything. I know she typically writes westerns, but I would love to see her write more Colonial stories.