Hurricanes and Reading - The Cumberland Bride

Google's security measures are a bit too stringent at times, which prevents me from signing onto Blogger. I finally remembered to do so at a device Google recognizes and can now update the blog.

Hurricane Florence recently slogged into North Carolina. In the decade I've lived here, never have I experienced a tropical event that lasted so long. That storm did not want to leave, and for four days it battered the coast. The damage was extensive. And then came the flooding. We were far enough inland to escape the brunt of the storm, but not to avoid it entirely. As a final insult, Florence dumped a huge amount of rainfall on us on her way out of town, flooding our street (but not our house.) She joins Cornwallis and Sherman as guests not welcome in this state.

As of this writing, Tropical Storm Michael, which made landfall near Panama City, Florida, as Category 4 Hurricane Michael, is flying toward us. Praise God, sometime in the night the storm shifted and the worst of it will skirt to the west of those most affected by Florence. We should just get some rain. If the winds want to uproot any plants or trees, it's welcome to pull up my half-dead gardenias because my husband insists they're okay.

During all this hurricaning, I spent a lot of time reading. I'm in the middle of Rebel Yell, a book about the life and military career of Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, but I put it aside when a historical novel written by a friend of mine was released.

Cumberland Bride, by Shannon McNear, is set along the Wilderness Trail and in Kentucky, my home state and the place where my entire maternal line lived for over 200 years. When she told me she was writing it, the history and genealogy geek in me nearly burst. Numerous, if not all, of my direct ancestors would have taken the trail to and through the Cumberland Gap to reach their eventual home in Southeast Kentucky.

Those who know me know I'm not a romance reader, and while the book is a romance, the story focuses on a group of settlers moving into Kentucky and the guide hired to take them there. Shannon is an excellent writer and historian. The details and facts she wove into the story were fantastic. She provided a vivid glimpse of what settlers (including my family) would have seen and experienced during the difficult journey. Whether or not one is a romance reader, it was a good read. I highly recommend it.