So Is God Still Good?

Those of us who are connected to Christians on social media often see the proclamation shouted in a post: This wonderful thing happened to me. God is good!
  • My fairy tale wedding was beautiful. God is good!
  • I was able to move to the place I love. God is good!
  • I/my child finally got that college degree. God is good!
  • A publisher accepted my manuscript. I'm going to be published! God is so good!
The subject of God's goodness came up during a staff meeting this week at the church where I work.The discussion involved people who were going through hardships and our readiness to recognize God's goodness when our lives are going well. That begged the question, is God not good when all isn't going well?
  • What about the Christians in China who are undergoing severe persecution right now, is God not good? 
  • And those Christian in Nigeria who are being slaughtered for their faith, is God not good? 
  • If the child of a Christian couple is diagnosed with cancer, is God not good? 
And what about my life experiences, which seem puny compared to those examples. Thanks to my mother seriously underestimating my soon-to-be husband's tolerance for crazed-fueled drama, our small wedding in front of a JP was hardly fairy tale. Decades later, ministry sent us far from our children as well as the region I loved. Despite trying for years--attending two community colleges and four universities, maintaining a 4.0 average for much of that, and earning over 90 hours of credits--I couldn't earn that coveted Bachelor's Degree. My husband's job transfers and his education, including seminary, had to come first. And a book contract? I don't even want to go there.

I didn't get what I wanted. Does that mean God isn't good?

We have a habit of measuring God's goodness by our successes and His willingness to fulfill our deepest desires. When He chooses to shower gifts on us, we recognize His goodness. And come on, admit it, when God opts not to shower those same gifts on others, we secretly feel that person (even if that person is us) has some manner of spiritual flaw and thus is undeserving. After all, the Lord said, "And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."

So those who didn't receive the goodies they wanted are faithless, right?

No. God is good all the time, even when He doesn't grant our wishes.
  • Did Abraham receive his God-given promise during his lifetime?
  • Was Moses able to go into that promised land even after leading the rebellious Israelite community through the wilderness for forty years?
  • Did Mary outlive her innocent son instead of having to watch him die a horrible death on a cross? 
  • Did the disciples lead nice, quiet lives and die peaceful deaths at a good old age?
  • Did Christians throughout church history enjoy lives of ease from the wonderful plan God had for their lives? 

No, no, and more no. And yet, God is good. He provided the ultimate atoning sacrifice for His people even though we are most undeserving of that grace and mercy. He gave us His word and His spirit to guide us as we live our temporal life on this earth. He gave us the Body of Christ, who, when we do what we're supposed to do, serve as a support to those grieving parents and for others enduring hardships. And He gave His people eternal life. The saints undergoing severe persecution know this and are comforted by it even in their distress.

As for me and my meager issues, which at times don't feel so meager, maybe I didn't get that beautiful wedding, but I did get a wonderful, faithful husband who loves me even nearly forty years later, and who faithfully serves the Lord, teaching his congregation the scriptures and doctrines in context, and who ministers to the church as a shepherd to his flock. I didn't get that coveted degree. With tuition prices, I never will. However, the Lord gave me the desire and ability to keep learning, which I do, even now studying history and the French language. Yes, I do live far from my family and the region I love, but I can squeeze in visits here and there. So writing didn't work out as I was certain it would, but I gave it my best effort, and I wanted to do so for God's glory and for His kingdom (I've been told numerous times my stories are too Christian for the Christian market.)

Perhaps the reason I didn't get the desires of my heart really is due to some manner of spiritual flaw, I don't know. But if so, that means God is working in my life and He'll ultimately use that work for His glory.

I wanted some things, yes, but what matters most is what God wanted for me. As I look at His creation, the salvation He provided, His work around the world and in our congregation, and the life He gave me, I can easily see and readily say that yes, God most certainly is good.