Christian, What Do You Believe?

Christian, what do you believe about the Bible? It's a question many are asking at the church I work at after recent events. Earlier this year, my boss--the pastor here for five years--passed away in his sleep after a year-long battle with LGL Leukemia. Since this is a denomination in which pastors are assigned, an interim pastor was appointed until an official pastor could be found. That happened earlier this month. When the announcement was made, aftershocks swept through the church. Why? Because it was a woman.

Many will say so what? It's a big what, and it started numerous discussions about what the Bible teaches about women holding church office, the denomination's stance on the scriptures and tradition, and even the origin of the denomination itself. Which is good. Such conversations should be held. It forces people to examine what they believe and why. However, I knew what the Scriptures said on the subject and knew I was about to lose my job.

That, too, sent a bit of a shockwave through those who heard. I like working here and they like my work. "Wasn't that fundamentalism?" one person asked. Not at all. I'm sure others felt it was legalistic. Even as I processed the shock of the unexpected and upcoming demise of my job and paycheck, I explained the Scriptural stance, that it had nothing to do with chauvinism, patriarchies, legalism, or even capability. It was a simple obedience to the Scriptures, i.e. placing a man in the position of pastor is a picture of Christ the Bridegroom caring for His bride, the Church. 

There are other factors at play. As I explained to everyone who asked, there is a group in our denomination that is working hard to subvert the standards and, "change the fabric" of our denomination so that it better fits a particular social view. A group that fully holds to the ordination of women. My husband is a pastor in that denomination, and he and I have been speaking out against this push. If the Bible isn't the "light" and "lamp" for God's people, "God-breathed and...useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work," why in the world did we have had to leave our children and the place we love so that my husband could teach the full counsel of the Scriptures in context? Considering those circumstances, I couldn't speak out against the ordination of women at our church and then go to another church and support a woman in that role.

However, I truly didn't want to lose my job and paycheck (I cannot emphasize that last part enough) so I prayed about it, discussed it with my husband, and consulted with someone in our denomination, who, after a week of prayer, counseled me to resign. A co-worker and I even looked for loopholes (yes, I regret that now.) When it came down to it, I couldn't do my job without violating the Scriptures and my conscience. I have no choice but to leave at an appointed time.

Some felt we just need to give her a chance. One person stated this person had faced similar objections at her previous assignments, but eventually overcame them. I'm not surprised. When pushing for something contrary to the Scriptures, the goal is to "overcome (objections) through familiarity." A sentence and truth I found in a chapter on why the Huguenot assimilated with the Anglicans in the 1700s after migrating to South Carolina. But this wasn't about her at all. It was about a female serving as an ordained pastor. One person tried to justify it by using the example of Lydia (when he meant Phoebe) who was called a servant, in the original Greek a word some like to translate as Deaconess. But the Scriptures never indicate she held an actual office in the church. Another person said, "I know it's in the Bible but...." My heart sank at that, as the hearts of many in the ministry must sink when someone admits they know the Word of God but they do what they want anyway. 

That, my friends, is Sin Nature and the reason we need a Savior in the first place.

Biblical illiteracy is high in this day and age. People simply don't know what's in in the Scriptures. Some won't read it at all, either because they're intimidated by its size or because they're afraid they won't understand it. Consequently, they rely on others to tell them what's inside without examining the Scriptures as the Bereans did to see if what was spoken is true. Many infuse their politics into their faith, perverting the Word of God for a social agenda. 

Do you know what you believe and why? Do you know what your denomination holds to and on what basis it came into existence? We're all to, "Do (our) best to present (ourselves) to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." (emphasis mine.) If you don't know I've been quoting Scripture or where to find them, start reading. Pick a gospel and then read Acts, Paul's epistles and then the general epistles. Read three chapters a day and keep everything in context of what the disciple of Christ is saying, to whom, and why. When you're done, start on the Old Testament. And keep reading over the years. Then you can better decide what you believe and know when it's time for you to make a sacrifice for the faith.