A Look at Roanoke: Explorers and the Lost Colony

Several years ago, the famous Lost Colony of Roanoke Island finally captured my history-loving attention. It began with an article I was writing on the charming town of Edenton, North Carolina. Even before that, I’d read Edward Bland’s The Discovery of New Brittaine and knew early explorers had traveled into the region to find the colonists. I wanted to know if there was a connection between that search and Edenton. The quest to answer that question immersed me in the centuries-old mystery, and I had a strong desire to learn all there was to know about the group that disappeared on the shores of the Graveyard of the Atlantic with little evidence as to where they’d goneI read books, spoke with local historians, read first-hand accounts written by participants in what, I learned, was three expeditions, not just one. After soaking it all in, I came to the simple conclusion that the colonist went to Croatoan just as they indicated they had, and that was the end of the story. 

After satiating my curiosity, I kept up on the continued search for the colony, but turned my attention elsewhere. Recently, though, I was offered the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Shannon McNear’s upcoming release, Elinor. Shannon was faithful to the facts, and the vivid picture she painted in her novel provided a realistic glimpse into what the colonists may have experienced. My interest flared once again, and as the colonists headed toward the New World in her novel, I also began to read non-fiction books on Raleigh’s expedition. Something was bothering me and I couldn’t put my finger on it. After typing out all the facts, I finally figured out what it was. 

And I changed my position. 

Over the course of the next week, I’ll present those facts in several posts, ending with my new guess as to the fate of 118 men, women and children, and two newborns, who risked their lives for a new start in a new land only to disappear from history.